- Pick a reference genome, and describe it to GREAT.
- Pick a reference gene set, and describe it to GREAT.
- Pick a GREAT gene regulatory domain assignment default rule.
- Identify (and/or generate from data) a set of ontologies with high-quality gene annotations for your species of interest.
- For each such ontology:
- Describe the ontology structure to GREAT.
- Map the ontology gene annotations to the reference gene set you chose in #2 (in case they are tagged with another reference gene set from yours). This step can be tricky.
- Provide a format to link from GREAT to a term details page for each term in the ontology.
And that's it. Interested parties are welcome to contact us for more detailed instructions.