GREAT is growing rapidly and has served over 5,000 users (measured as unique IPs) since its inception.
- December 7, 2016: GREAT will be down intermittently for hardware relocation.
- Feb 15, 2015: GREAT version 3.0 switches to Ensembl genes, adds support for the mouse mm10 assembly, and adds new ontologies.
- Apr 3, 2012: GREAT version 2.0 adds new annotations to human and mouse ontologies and visualization tools for data exploration.
- Feb 18, 2012: The GREAT forums are released, allowing increased user-to-user interaction
- May 31, 2011: GREAT version 1.8 adds genome distribution graphs and upgrades term details pages.
- Mar 29, 2011: GREAT version 1.7 adds support for human disease ontologies.
- Jan 27, 2011: GREAT version 1.6 adds support for the zebrafish genome.
- Jan 10, 2011: GREAT included in Nature Biotechnology "Trends in Computational Biology 2010".
- Dec 15, 2010: GREAT receives its first Nature citation.
- May 10, 2010: You can now submit to GREAT directly from the UCSC Table Browser.
- May 2, 2010: GREAT is published in Nature Biotechnology: See journal / reprint. Faculty of 1000 "Must Read".